MuziCan Foundation presents new forms of musical performances from various cultural backgrounds and connects these with other art forms such as literature, dance, film, and visual arts. It is of great importance to the Foundation that these presentations are accessible to a wide audience locally and abroad. Therefore, the artistic team seeks partnerships with other like-minded artists, academic institutions, and organizations.
Furthermore, the Foundation supports research into how music from different musical traditions can be fused with each other to create a new experience. The Foundation is interested in stimulating the transfer of knowledge in these fields by means of lessons and workshops. The creative force behind the Foundation is Marion von Tilzer.
The board of the MuziCan Foundation consists of enthusiastic and dedicated members from diverse sectors.
Konstantin Koukias is composer and producer for arts projects in the Netherlands and abroad.
Richard Stuivenberg is a copywriter and publisher.
Joke Schulkes-van de Pol
Joke Schulkes-van de Pol is a family physician and a board member of Fonds Alledaagse ziees.
Marion von Tilzer
Marion von Tilzer is artistic director, composer and pianist.
Donate to the MuziCan Foundation
Help us create more projects from diverse cultural backgrounds.
The foundation was established in 2006 around the CD & opera project Kirvani Revisited by Marion von Tilzer. Since then, various activities have been carried out under the foundation’s banner:
- 2008 – Kirvani Revisited CD recordings (with support from Thuiskopiefonds and Gravin van Bylandt Stichting), released on Challenge Records 2008
- 2010/2011 – Blue Planet – Hommage to Mother Earth: A Suite for 6 musicians + 1 dancer in co-production with the Orgelpark Amsterdam (performances in Amsterdam and Alkmaar, 2010 & 2011)
- 2014 – the foundation was involved in a concert around The Secret Keymasters (Challenge Records 2014) in Splendor Amsterdam.
- 2016 – Demo music recording by Das Verschenkte Weinen (Studio Norbert Veel NVG Sound Productions) to present it to various publishers.
- 2017 – The film opera A Day in June (from 2017), made possible by financial support from Prince Bernhard Cultuurfonds NH, from the project budget ‘Alkmaar Makes it!’ and crowdfunding via Voordekunst. Orphic Film acted as executive producer on behalf of the MuziCan Foundation. Written in Music is a media partner. In 2019, A Day in June received the Founder L’Eclisse Award, as an ‘outstanding Arthouse film’ during the Chicago International Arthouse Film Festival Blowup Filmfest.
- 2018/19 – Ten Songs of Change with lyrics by Lulu Wang, Music by Marion von Tilzer, performed by cellist Maya Fridman (cello, vocals) & Marion von Tilzer (piano). This project was made possible, among others, with financial support from Prince Bernhard Cultuurfonds and the Countess van Bylandt Foundation). The premiere took place during the Grachtenfestival Amsterdam 2019.
2020 — 2023
- 2020 – CD recording Ten Songs of Change by TRPTK (Brendon Heinst) in the Hertzzaal of Tivoli/Vredenburg, sponsored by Goodmesh, among others, followed by some live performances in the Hertzzaal.
2021 – Ten Songs of Change summer tour, made possible thanks to the Balcony Scenes grant from the Performing Arts Fund; the tour planning was provided by Mary Kaptein Management.
- 2021 – start of a new series by Marion von Tilzer: ‘Meetings with Remarkable women’ – music inspired by women’s lives. The first composition was Malala Speaks, a work for children’s choir set to words by the Pakistani activist & Nobel Peace Prize winner Malala Yousafzai. Aim is, to invite children choirs from all continents to sing the song and make a short documentary about the song Malala Speaks and the process of the young singers rehearsing and performing the song &sharing their own vision about the future.
- 2021 Start of new project A Shrine for the Soul, part of the series ‘Meetings with Remarkable Women – music inspired by women’s lives.’ Funded in part by Dutch Composers now, Amsterdamse Fonds voor de Kunst, Prins Bernhard Cultuurfonds.